afghan refugee family team
St Giles & our Mission Affinity Group are recruiting volunteers to help host a refugee family from Afghanistan. All refugee families have been cleared by the State Department, Homeland Security, local coordinating non-profit (IRC), have health clearance and are fully vaccinated. The government and non-profit International Rescue Committee are coordinating this public/private church resettlement partnership. They are also providing the bulk of the funding and services like initial housing, employment services, and medical support. We will provide volunteers, help with furnishing a basic apartment, and raise a small supplemental budget.
All volunteers need to get a security check and be willing to offer a minimum of 2 hours per week over 3-6 months for simple assistance with the following:
- Transportation: to the store, library, ESL class, etc.
- Hospitality: share or provide a meal & be friendly.
- Home mentorship: help with understanding how to manage a budget, send/receive mail, etc.
- Culture: help them acclimate to life in the U.S.
- Help with job searching (employment services are provided by IRC)
- Participate in occasional community social gatherings like a picnic with other host volunteers and Afghan families
Will you help be the hands of Jesus by helping these families resettle in our community?
If you are interested in finding out more, please contact our team coordinator Sarah Hill at 804-615-3243 or firstname.lastname@example.org.